6.09.2006

Where did all the Anime go?

What is going on? From the very beginning, there has been an enormous amount of anime titles out there, almost all of them are of the best quality (great plot, great character development, great animation -- they deliver nothing but the best. I made a decree to myself more than a decade ago that I would never be able to watch all these series and that I'm bound to miss some of the most influential and spectacular titles. Never, since my anime lifetime, has there been an instance where I'm not in the middle of an anime series. There is just a huge plethora of titles that continue to be developed and released, and that's not even including the titles of the past. There were times when I was watching over 5 series at the same period. It's impossible to keep up, I just do the best I can to fulfill my passion with the resources at hand.

But lately, I have been blank. This is such a strange feeling. I can't find any good anime to get into and this is definitely a first. The questions I'm used to asking is, "Which one?" This lack of choices is extremely disturbing. It's not that there's a shortage of titles out there, in fact, I believe there's an increase. And yet, I can't find one. It's really hard to believe that my last series were "Full Metal Alchemist," "Bleach," and "Samurai Champloo." Those were ages ago. I'm afraid at the thought that quantity is overarching quality...the plot, the characters, even the animation are being compromised.

No comments: