3.15.2007

Japan Release of "Paprika"

Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" is set to be released on DVD, UMD, and Blu-ray Disc simultaneously this May 23rd in Japan. The DVD will be available in a standard edition and a special 2-disc box set packed with extra goodies including a 760 page storyboard book. The UMD and Blu-ray disc formats will carry only the standard edition. This worries me just a little. Will the US release follow Japan's footsteps? Packaging and all things omake are all just as equally important (or at least very significant) as the movie itself. The fact that most releases come with a regular and limited edition is great in that it satisfies everyone. For me personally, I tend to lean to limited, exclusive, and special collector's editions. Here's where the dilmena rises. Do I sacrifice state-of-the-art optimal visual and sound quality for the special box set? Or do I sacrifice a beautifully packed, goodies stuffed and stunning artwork galore box set for the best technology has to offer? DVD or Blu-ray?? I couldn't choose...I'm hoping this trend is only temporary. But I fear that I'm not so confident that it is.

No comments: