8.24.2010

Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

There has been speculation through some posts from Twitter that anime director Satoshi Kon passed away today at the age of 47. This news apparently coming from a tweet by Gainax's Yasuhiro Takeda.

Kon has been a true visionary, redefining innovation in anime and it's hard to imagine a world without his genius. I am sure many will agree, but Kon could do no wrong. Many of the titles on my top lists include Kon titles.

Each one of his titles brought something unique and unlike anything anyone had seen before. Perfect Blue; Millennium Actress; Tokyo Godfather; Paprika; Paranoia Agena; Memories!

I am still trying to gather up details, but I am at a loss. I will update as more information is revealed.

UPDATE (8/24/2010): It saddens me to confirm Satoshi Kon's passing. Jim Vowles, a member of the Otakorp Board of Directors for the Otakon convention, announced that director Satoshi Kon has passed away. The staff of Otakon confirmed his passing with MADHOUSE studio founder Masao Maruyama.

No comments: