8.21.2006

Utopian Awakening

After the MCAT, I was able to fit in some anime, that is, until my body gave out from extreme exhaustion. Sitting on my shelf for the past few days still in its wrapping, it took a lot of will power to stop me from watching this anime. But I perservered and I'm glad I waited till after the test.

"Ergo Proxy" is a cool, dark anime with a tint of innovation and a unique plot. I already had high expectations ever since I heard that it was from the guys who brought us the awesome "Samurai Champloo." The art and design quality is absolutely flawless. It combines the high art quality of "Last Exile," the crisp and darkness of "Blood: The Last Vampire," and the fluidity of "Samurai Champloo." The story is captivating...humans and androids called autoreivs, live together in the last utopia, but a virus called the Cogito Virus is spreading among some androids infecting them with emotion. The main character is a female inspector from the Citizen Information Bureau along with her partner, an autoreiv named Iggy. The basic plot and first episode is nicely presented to depict a deep, multilayered story filled with twists and turns. The mood reminds me of "Speed Grapher" meets "Noir." Hopefully the episodes to follow will be as equally compelling as the first episode.

No comments: